Monday, November 8, 2010

Longue or Lounge...

Use the American spelling (lounge)or the French (longue)but no matter what the Chaise is possibly one of my favorite things...and yes I know I have a lot of favorite things- a girl can change her mind and have many many favorites.

The traditional French chaise longue typically has a carved wooden frame to accent the upholstery and is more long and narrow than the American versions that has gained in popularity. The American versions lean more toward the sofa roots than the chair roots of this unique piece of furniture.

I instantly think of these pieces for bedrooms as a glamorous and romantic place to quietly read a book or curl up and chat on the phone with an old friend and a cup of tea... or a very chic place to pile laundry ( I mean really-let's be honest here!)

Yet these hybrid chairs have been adopted into living rooms around the world. The growing popularity of media rooms has thrust the chaise style into the main stream as they have started sprouting off the ends of sectional sofas.
They have also become sleek pieces of art that make a dramatic statement. I think a more modern updated chaise or bench is a great option instead of a love seat in a living room where you don't want a heavy uphostery piece or where you have a view you don't want to block.

I have wanted one for my bedroom for a long time...and low and behold my Fairy Godmother has granted my wish! I came home from my weekend with my aunt with one in my car! It is a little loved but it is in great shape and I can't wait to spruce it up. It is a traditional French version much like this one.

So now I get to do a little planning to make it my own... and once i make a decision I will share some before and after pictures. But oh what to do with it?
Do I use this as an excuse to use one of my favorite fabrics Paradiso Sky by LuLuDK

Keep it feminine and romantic (and use a little purple to make the Laker Fan happy)??

Really amp it up with a bold modern in a bright color?

Play it safe with a luxe neutral?

Graphic and modern to update it?


Keep it true to it's roots and use classic French Ticking Stripes?
With such a classic piece of furniture this is going to be a hard decision because I really think anyway I go it will be the most perfect addition to my bedroom!

photos: Calico Corner, LuLuDk, French Quarter, Casa Nova, DecorPad, Lifeshop, John Houshmand

No comments: