Friday, November 5, 2010

Librarian Chic...

I give my sister a really hard time about 95% of the time...ok 98%. As I have mentioned previously we are different, a bit like peanut butter and jelly -totally opposite but compliment each other and belong together..in that comparison I would say she is the reliable more healthy peanut butter that everyone loves and I am the messy, likely to stain colorful jelly that people either love or hate. For the record I think you must have both together otherwise you really are just missing out...
So while I love bold graphic modern and my favorite color is Hot Pink my sister is classic and a bit more refined and sensible than me...I call it Librarian Chic! So in her honor today, (it's her birthday today!) I shall go a bit more sensible and tap into my inner Librarian and try to impart my most favorite chic findings.


I am going to skim right over the obvious mentioning of books and head right to what I believe is the essence of a good library...the sofa. The chesterfield sofa is synonymous with libraries...it's classic lines and tufting make for a cozy spot to curl up and read a good book. And leather is a must in a library, it will age and become as timeless as a good classic.

A solid desk is key as are good shelves. But I think just as important in the modern library is a small bar... OK so maybe not so sensible but come on- you know it is a good idea. Since everyone might not be a fan opt for a cabinet style that you can close up or go for a bar cart that you can wheel out when necessary- War and Peace goes down a lot smoother on the rocks.

Every library needs good lighting... and layers of it! Keep it moody with overhead fixtures on a dimmer and add in a layer to read by either with floor lamps or wall swing arms in more updated finishes and styles.

Cozy Cardigans are a must to keep you warm while reading- I personally think the cardi has come a long way since Mr. Rogers and am pretty sure these from Anthropologie would make me feel smarter

Classic desk accessories add a touch of nostalgia to the library and help out in solving impromptu geography debates... 
And every good librarian need some sassy glasses to toss off as she lets her hair down... So my sweet sissy, on your birthday make sure you toss off the glasses and let your hair down! Have a fabulously chic birthday!

photos: Anthropologie, Hudson Hotel, Barnes and Noble, Roost, HabituallyChic, Sara Gilbane Interiors

No comments: