Monday, November 8, 2010

Because 2 is better than 1!!!

I just logged onto good old Facebook to get a sweet message from one of my favorite people! I am from the south, and southern people are wonderful we are so damn nice but we really don't have anything on mid-westerners...they are the friendliest people ever!So this particular mid-western holds  a special place in my heart because she is also the mother of my tiny-boyfriends (that's what I call her twin boys)...possibly the two most adorable little boys ever- until my new nephew arrives this week (we hope!)


So thinking about my tiny boyfriends and how they will soon enough be out growing their cribs I started thinking about twin beds. And while I am not the biggest fan of the twin bed in the master bedroom thing I think they are a fabulous option for a guest room- and they don't have to be kiddie!
The twin bed actually came about in my favorite period of excess, the Victorian Era! While originally deemed a social menace, interior designers of the 1890's were relentless and started a trend; and low and behold got support from the medical community! Physicians thought they were a great idea as they allowed couple to share a room with the unsanitary aspect of sharing a bed as well as the wonderful sleep people were achieving  in this era of insomnia.
Even today they are still popular having even been the star of an episode of How I Met Your Mother.

If you are considering twins for your guest room remember to keep it chic and grown up, playing with whimsy here can easily result in childish, so I would recommended erring on the side of sophisticated. And whatever you do- don't skimp on the table between the two- it is framed! and it is a great opportunity to create a focal point- but remember to make sure it has enough surface for two people to share!
And if you have the room- take a nod from hotels and use a pair of double beds. My sister just did this and I have to say it (aside from the nursery) it is my favorite room in her house! The double beds are a little more comfortable for a wiggly sleeper like me but yet you still get the whole bed to yourself!

Don't forget the foot of the bed... a slipper chair or ottoman makes a great place to toss an overnight bag or pull on your shoes.


Double armed lamps are great for between twins since you typically don't have room for two lamps!

Photos: Domino, ShelterPop, Harpers Bazaar, Apartment Therapy, Jeff Andrews Design, Barrie Benson, Veranda, Melissa Rufty, Living Etc.

No comments: