Thursday, October 21, 2010

Suz-whati???

Unless you are visually impaired you have to have noticed these gorgeous needle work patterned fabrics popping up everywhere! I personally chose Suzani curtains for my house to help take attention away from my hand-me down leather sofa that is a gorgeous shade of rusty red.

Suzani actually means needlework but has become the universal descriptor of the colorful graceful patterns embroidered on textiles based on the tradition of the women of Uzbekistan ( the country smushed in between Kazakhstan and Afghanistan). Traditionally these textiles were made into bedding, table cloths and prayer mats that were part of  daughters dowries. While still serving very much the same function they are a great pattern to use in your home- you can find them with almost every color you could dream of in them. For instance I was dying for a way to bring some Aqua into my house and when I found my curtains that had the perfect blend of reds, oranges, yellows browns and blues I knew that it was my solution! And I haven't looked back- I love my curtains. I was afraid I would get sick of such a bold pattern quickly but the organic lines and just enough neutral background make them eye pleasing not overpowering.

So if you are over whelmed with solids and geometrics try a Suzani inspired pop- you can even find them at World Market! Or if you really want to get people talking- put it on your feet- I secretly love these boots- although they are totally a wear once kind of thing... otherwise you become "that boot lady"


photos: Yurdan, House Beautiful, CasaSugar

No comments: