Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ants have 6 legs Aunts have 2...

I was blessed to have a fabulous Great Aunt who set me straight as a child, that I was never never never to call her Ant Betty as she only had two legs not six. And since this week I have had the great honor of becoming an Aunt to little baby John I have been thinking quite a bit about what type of aunt I should be...Aunt's in literature, film and television are always a bit, shall I say... eccentric? I think my brother-in-law would agree I will fit just perfectly into the history books.
I think I can defiantly rule out two of the most famous ladies...
Good Old Ant Bea...I am not that old!

A whole history of Aunt Jemima's cooking- I love cooking but I can't touch her!

Most recently, literally making a reappearance on the big screen this week, Aunt Petunia...
I can have my moments but my nephew can grow up without fearing of living under my stairs
One of my more favorite eccentrics is Aunt Clara from Bewitched...

Scanning through Crazy Aunt Clara photos her umbrella jumped out at me and got me thinking about the most famous childcare giver of all and her famous umbrella...Mary Poppins! while not an Aunt she certainly became part of the family!

I tend to hate rainy days, except I do get to wear my wellies! But I do love umbrellas! There is something very lovely about the soft lines of an umbrella- what an inspiring shape to decorate with...
Cindy Ciskowski has made lovely silk "umbrella"pendants the centerpiece of her line of lighting.
 
Umbrella as light! I think so!




Every entry way needs a place to rest umbrellas..

And I must say I love the trend the hospitality industry has embraced with using umbrellas as the centerpiece of their decor

These last lovely colorful umbrellas have helped me realize my Aunt Idol... She is not quite so main stream and I highly recommended the movie to all!
Auntie Mame! I adore her fabulous Manhattan apartment that she flips the decor on whim and her amazing outfits complete with sequins and feathers! And what a wonderful aunt to teach her young nephew to make a proper martini! 

I guess I will dream big and shoot for Auntie Mame while in reality I am much closer to being good old Aunt Becky...

photos: Auntie Mame, Gizmodo, Cindy Ciskowski, IMDB, OhDeeDoh



No comments: