Tuesday, October 26, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

My senior year of college I had to do a final project on the life and influence of a single designer and after a study abroad in Paris the choice was clear (and because Coco Chanel was taken) The one the only Yves Saint Laurent! He is one of the most fascinating men I have ever studied, he had a stint in the military and stint in a mental hospital all before taking the helm at Christian Dior- did you know that is were he started? He captured the essence of women and combined his mastery of the female form with the drama of the art world. In 1965 he rocked the worlds of both fashion and art when his now infamous Mondrian dress strutted down the cat walk.
Many years before I fell in love with the styling of Yves I fell in love another graphic pattern...Elmer the Elephant. A hugely underrated kids book, it is the tale of an elephant that is different from the other elephants and I love him! What's not to love- the graphic pattern and the bold colors...I can't look at Elmer and not smile!


So I have found a way to combine the two!!! I adore adore adore the Mondrian inspired wainscot - I am dying to do this for a nursery or a play room- how could this not inspire creativity in a child?


And while that is a major project to undertake perhaps I will go with one that it a little easier on the budget and the back...Flor Tiles! These square carpet tiles get mixed and matched to make a rug or wall to wall carpet- and even better- they require no giant commitment of permanent carpet glue or staples!

And when I hit it big...I plan to make people smile up and down the highway with the Paul Smith edition Mini Cooper!!! I would love to see the expression on the cop that tries to write you a ticket with this car- the cutest car ever has met a fashion icon and the result is traffic stopping...
 
And oh yes... the stripes continue inside too!


photos: Instyle, HGTV, GlamChic,CoolHunting, Elmer the Elephant, Flor

No comments: