Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pearl of girl...

Little something to know about me- I have a big sister that I love, she is my best friend of all time...we talk every day ( well almost- she will stalk me if we don't) we look alike but we could not be more different and it is perfect- our differences add so much to each other's lives (or at least I think so).  I am thrilled to death that my sister is having her first baby and that she has let me par take in all the fun things like the shopping and decorating even if doesn't include the color pink! not quite sure what I will do with a nephew but more to come on that subject!


Recently my sister took me to the uber big box baby store where we saw this bassinet- we both laughed instantly because that much silk terrifies my sister and I of course loved how over the top it was! We joked and I said if I was having a baby I would buy it and do an oyster themed nursery... well the funny thing is we grew up in oyster country, my birth stone is the pearl and I haven't stopped thinking about it. 

I always ask my customers for things that inspire them or things that they have seen that they love so when I ran across this bassinet again I started thinking of what I would put with it to create the perfect sanctuary for a little Pearl...  and oh wow how much damage I could do with that as an inspiration.  Silk is such an obvious choice for the subtle shine and luxury of it all but when you start to consider the oyster as a whole... the texture and dimension of the shell lends itself to layers and mixing textures like the Bella Notte crib ensemble here. The subtle ruffles remind me of the rough exterior of the shell. The worn luster of a painted piece of furniture mimics not only the muted color of the inside but speaks to the long history of the oyster...a rough and tumbled shell that has survived for years and takes all the hard knocks of the sea while protecting the precious cargo inside
                                                                                                                                                             So look around you, at the things you grew up with , or the oddities in nature that make you happy and don't rule them out as inspiration...there is a reason you are drawn to it... embrace it and know there is a way to make it beautiful no matter what- if it speaks to you then it will help personalize your home and put your stamp on it..

No comments: