Monday, October 25, 2010

Judge a book on it's cover...

Despite the coordinated appearance of my bookshelf, I don't (well -always) buy books solely on the color of the cover. I do from time to time get suckered into one with a cute pink cover but as a rule I try to read one book for non-sense pleasure then one book to enrich myself. I do believe in Confucius' quote: " No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance." and really what with all the options of Kindles, Ipads, Nooks and well Books- you have no reason to not read! I love reading, my favorite thing about vacations is the ability to read books cover to cover.  Having just finished The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (highly recommend! it will make you think-in a good way) it is time to start a fun easy read... so tempted by the cute cover I picked up Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella ( I mean I already read all the other books in the series so why not finish it off???) It is a book based on a crazy shopping obsessed British girl that lives in a bubble of shopping- she can reason any purchase. In the newest book as a new mother they are shopping for a new house and she tells her best friend about her plans for the front hall: "I thought we could have a really cool hat stand with a single studded Alexander Wang bag hanging from it. It would make such a statement...And next to it, maybe a console table accessorized with some Lara Bohinc jewelry?" She goes on to explain that she does not yet own these accessories but that since they were "household items" they wouldn't go against her budget, they would be part of the decorating budget.


Now that is a bit over the top but I will hand it to her- I have often thought of using fashion as home decor and there is one design house that comes to mind...Hermes! I worship Hermes- seeing all these pumpkins and turning leaves has gotten me dreaming Hermes dreams too! Hermes scarves are possibly the most classic and sophisticated square of fabric ever and are almost to beautiful to wear...and clearly I am not alone in this idea, Hermes scarves are popping up as framed art work and gorgeous over sized pillows. and why not? what a great way to show off a collection that is "wall worthy".


And if the scarves aren't your thing and you can still show your Hermes Love affair by using the gorgeous orange boxes...oh yes recycling at its finest!
photos: Baxter Designs, Domino, Elle Decor, Indie Home, Inventor Spot, Sanity Fair
Aghhh... Sweet Dreams of all the lovely things that come in those amazing orange boxes!!!

No comments: