Sunday, February 6, 2011

Pardon my soapbox moment...

So, I am a self admitted DIY-er ... I change out light fixtures, I tile, I know my way around a drill and a saw(and own both) I own a tool belt(a pink one of course),I can snake my own drain (major cost saving for a girl with long thick hair), I install landscape lighting (low voltage that is) I can assemble and hang ceiling fans, I have no problem painting a room in an afternoon, I own a staple gun and I'm not afraid to use it, I can take a door off it's hinges and I can change locks, I love putting in dimmers...but I know my limits.  I know what I can safely and successfully complete and I think that is the biggest problem with DIY- we let our egos get the best of us and we don't know when to just put it down and call in the experts.

I have so many times heard people complain about the cost of professionals such as plumbers, electricians or tile installers...I was at Home Depot the other day and overheard a couple arguing over the hourly cost of their electrician (upwards of almost $100)and the cost of a DIY book($11 and change)!!Yes- I took a picture of the book as soon as they walked away- I couldn't resist! But here's the deal- know your limits and understand that there is a reason these people have jobs and reasons why they cost what they do- and most of those professions have been around longer than any of us!

When you look at the value of your home you have to take in consideration the full picture- now don't get me wrong I love me some HGTV but if you notice Candice Olson always has Chico her electrician lurking somewhere in the background...there are just some things that really should be left to professionals because in the long run that $12 book on wiring might cost you a whole lot more than you ever bargained for. Wiring is scary and can hurt you when you don't know what you are doing- hear me on this one. Electricians know what they are doing- they can often times get you a better price on products and if you have the electrician do the parts and labor they can warranty their entire job- think about it- your ceiling fan goes on the fritz and your electrician has warrantied his (or her) entire work just call him and he will fix it...now imagine you were trying to cheap it out- went to a big box store, bought it yourself hung it yourself- oops who is going to help you? not the big box store...you now have to hire that electrician you were trying to avoid paying for... I am just saying!
 I was in a tile store one day and overheard an exchange between the customer and the owner where the customer explained that since they were splurging on a nicer tile they would install it themselves to save money...the owner was very nice and diplomatic and let the customer go on their merry way and as soon as they left he shook his head and started laughing and I heard him order double what the customer had just requested???? I asked why (I am not totally crazy- I am friends with the guy) and he told me that when someone (who has ordered unique tiles) says they are going to do it themselves that they are his favorite customers because 9 times out of 10 he gets a double sale out of them because they mess it up so bad the first go round that they not only have to re-buy the tile but then pay for the install!

So thank you for indulging my soapbox moment...and let me clarify long live the DIY-er in you all but just know your limits and trust that the professionals are professionals for a reason (I mean do your homework on them to make sure they are good- referrals are the best way to find good help). You may rather get a new pair of shoes or a new bag but in the long run- it is worth having a professional do the work, and do the work right.

And Happy Day-Late Birthday to my favorite electrician!

No comments: