Saturday, February 12, 2011

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight..."

People always ask me why I watch soap operas (yes- that is my super guilty vice...not smoking or drugs but All My Children and Young and The Restless)...well the truth is that no matter how bad my day or week is- someone on a soap is having a far worse one. Either he is finding out his child is actually not his but his brothers, or she finds out her husband is actually a con artist, or your falling into a volcano or hitting black ice and driving your motorcycle off a cliff, or the whole town is trying to kill you...But there is the other side of the coin as well- they get to wear evening gowns to the office, they always live in mansions that have staff that wears uniforms and bakes fresh cookies, and their children go away to boarding school for a few months and come back 5 years older after a month or two; and when they fall in love it is over the top! It is all grand gestures and white knight kind of romance(-that I am doubting actually exists outside of my television screen) and it doesn't matter if it is your first wedding or your tenth it is the most in love ever! And my favorite favorite couple is Ryan and Greenlee;  and this Valentine's Day they are attempting to get married for I believe the third time??? They are madly in love and are the couple you can't help cheering for and their special thing is the moon and when they are apart they both look at it and think of each other....(sorry vomited a little thinking about it) so for her engagement ring this go round what is more fitting that a moonstone surrounded by diamonds!

Kiss The Ring New York- sadly I think they sold (and not to me!)
The Romans believed the stone was made from solidified rays of the moon because of its' visual effect and sheen. It was also wildly popular in the US during the Art Nouveau movement but since then you really only see it in cheesy and cheap applications... until recently- I eyed some gorgeous earrings and an amazing cocktail ring that got me thinking about this lovely little stone...
Ring by Monica Vinader
Why not capture some of the simple elegance that makes this stone so unique?
Benjamin Moore makes a Metallic Glaze that can be tinted with any of their colors; it gives walls a translucent shimmery effect like a moonstone and it makes the light dance off it!
Similarly, but a bit less shimmery is Ralph Lauren's Candlelight Topcoat that gives walls a subtle sheen but still picks up and highlights the radiance of light hitting it. Icelandic Poppy or Ivory Coast are probably your best bets for a moonstone feel although I love Killington Traverse with its subtle aqua note.
And it isn't just paint finishes that are glowing...

Tile and wallpaper are a great way to add some depth and sheen to a room and in a soft ethereal palette of whites and creams it isn't over powering or abrasive.

But if you aren't a "wall treatment" person that doesn't mean you can't still live in the glow of the moon... Take a look at the stone- it is not just a white rock there is so much depth and so many soft colors in it that it lends itself to a wonderful room scheme!





mixing the various shades of white, grey and cream with soft pops of color and sparkle create a warm and romantic scheme for any room and works in about any home- unless you are like me and have a constantly shedding black dog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Viva Tad Martin!

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog post while searching out moonstone! I've had a set since Ryan gave Greenlee that gorgeous ring! I miss AMC SO MUCH! This is so well written and I had to leave you a comment to thank you for awaking such great memories!