Monday, February 7, 2011

and the tree was happy...




I don't know if it was reading The Giving Tree to my nephew today or if it is my stellar new view that has me thinking about being among the trees. Being four stories up in the trees looking out across the canals and onto the Potomac makes me feel like I am living my childhood fantasy of having a tree house!
Tree houses have long been a safe home for people of both South America and the South Pacific; they can be traced back to the renaissance period when Franciscan Monks resided in them for meditation. And while Peter Pan and The Swiss Family Robinson really made them into the childhood dreams we are all familiar with.


Great men like Winston Churchill and John Lennon never let go of their childhood dreams and both had tree houses as grown men...and I think they were on to something. The tree house is growing up!
Tree house architecture has exploded all around the globe, and this isn't just some weekend worrier project- these are sleek modern masterpieces!


























And if living among the trees isn't for you (I was so tempted to say "for the birds"!) you can still enjoy the trend by bringing in some tree house inspired items like these killer tables and desks...














Or let the trees take over the walls...








And if you still aren't ready to commit full tilt to the tree movement bring in some accents....














So any way you slice it there is a way to bring some wood into your world, and not just hard wood floors! So embrace your inner child and try to reclaim that dream of living in the trees and bring some of that whimsy and wonder into your home because this is a trend that will work in any house with any decor.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: