Monday, December 27, 2010

to err is human...




I refer to this as the let down week...as a child it was the week to come off the high of Christmas, the time to resolve the disappointment of not getting that special toy on Christmas morning, the time to get dragged all over creation visiting long lost relatives when all you honestly wanted to do was stay home and play with your toys. As an adult it is the week to look down the barrel of another year gone... a time where we should be celebrating all the accomplishments of the past year but let's be honest...we don't, we beat our selves up and focus on the shortfalls and mistakes made in the past year and vow that next year will be different.

But we all make mistakes, make bad choices and have knee jerk reactions we wish we could take back...don't beat yourself up- we all have made mistakes this past year...
Some of us made the mistake of one too many sweets on the Christmas table and now can't fit into our finery for New Year's Eve... well mistake solved...


Spanx have been the dessert splurge problem solver for years for women- yes guys these funny looking undergarments we squeeze ourselves into to smooth things out are now available for you too!


Or maybe you feel your mistake was made in choosing a bad job or a bad relationship... well we all have done that from time to time...so get out of- make yourself happy, my therapist wisely once told me that you cannot be happy in a couple until you are happy yourself...


So embrace your inner Beyonce and get out of your toxic relationship and rock your Single Lady- self (guys if JT can rock his in a unitard you can too), be it with a wrong lover or a horrible job!

But perhaps your mistake was made in the home...


Paint is just paint...if your color isn't working for you, take a weekend and treat yourself to a fresh coat! till you find the one that works!- changing paint is a whole lot easier and cheaper than buying new cabinets or new furniture... but if it is the furniture that is the mistake...


Slipcovers hide a multitude of sins...and they aren't just the frumpy one size fits most jobs they used to be. Slip covers have embraced synthetic blends with spandex in them to give a snug fit


and they have gotten chic with fancy details like sassy skirts or personalized monograms





Or use use my favorite tool of all...



Spray Paint! and it isn't what it used to be- there are thousands of colors now- amazing designer colors- not just bright primary/industrial colors and they come in different finishes and metallics- oh my! Spray paint works on almost every surface so it is the best solution I can come up with most of the time. I literally found Tiffany Box Blue spray paint and bought it knowing I would find something to paint (for the record I now have very chic pendants over my kitchen island). Today's spray paint works on plastic, metal and wood- so embrace those hand me downs you don't love so much and paint them, or that wacky piece you bought at the flea market because you like the shape despite the fact it is pea green. or if you are in a pinch- and I do mean a pinch spray that ugly fabric goodbye..


while I don't whole heartedly support this idea for daily use it is a great solution for staging your house if you are going to put it on the market and want to update the look of your house without spending more money.

Or if it is really that bad...get rid of it.


Aside from being a gathering place for serial killers and prostitutes Craig's List was created, like Ebay to clear out your unwanteds and make a little money off them at the same time! Cause you know what they say...one man's trash is another man's treasure!



So instead of beating yourself up about the mistakes made in the year past consider what my Dad once told me: I was in college- having declared business as my major (after I realized Studio Art would not afford me many job options) and I hated it- every last class! So one night as I wallowed in my pity of not knowing what I wanted to do with myself my Dad told me "you may not know what you want but knowing what you don't want is 1/2 the battle." And he is so right! If there was a way to avoid all the mistakes we make someone would have figured it out by now, so instead just embrace that you will make mistakes...learn from it, pick yourself up and try again- that's the best any of us can do...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: