Sunday, December 5, 2010

Fake it till you make it...

 
As a result of last night's snow that covered my lawn I am feeling extra festive, that and I feel the need to play devil's advocate to fake trees after my real tree post...Real Christmas trees are great, but if you are A.Lazy and don't want to mess with watering, needles and sap  B.Allergic to real trees  C. A safety freak and don't like the fire risk of a dried out tree or D.Wanting to do something creative and unique a faux tree is for you!

The first time I saw the inverted Christmas tree I wasn't so sure but it has grown on me... I saw one in NY actually hanging from the ceiling over a dining table in a small apartment- it was genius! I also really like the way the ornaments dangle off and you can really see them, they don't get lost in the branches below. And I can't overlook the obvious- the floor space! Most people have to rearrange furniture and it is a quite cumbersome process to make room for the tree but with an inverted tree the mass is at the top where there is little competition for space. Now this is not for everyone but if you have the personality to pull it off- go for it!
Who ever said it even had to be a tree? Use what inspires you to make a tree that speaks to your personality...

for the book lover..

the beer drinker..

not exactly sure what this is...

For the truly space challenged make a wall decoration instead of sacrificing the floor space.
Or if you want the tradition of the Christmas tree without being so over the top there are great option for faux trees...
Flocked trees add a romantic element and have come a long way- they look quite real now and the "snow" stays put so no mess!


This Realistic Austrian Pine has such realistic needles that you are going to need to really touch it to know it isn't real  plus the pre-lit tree come with a remote! no crawling behind to plug it in!


This Denmark Fir is so lifelike it is even complete with pine cones! Pre-lit with 3,000 hour lights will ensure you get your money's worth out of this big guy!


This White Fir is so life like with its branch pattern that is not quite perfect! At 7 1/2 feet the 900 lights make this tree come to life and no hassle of getting sap on you by getting  the lights in deep into the branches!
But I know I know....the smell... well trust me on this one- buy a Thymes Frasier Fir Diffuser and hide it near the tree.
These smell so real, i have used them and fooled the most devout real tree people! and go ahead and buy one to keep on hand as a last minute gift!

faux trees all from Frontgate

No comments: