Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

I am head over heels in love! I have a new man in my life that melts my heart every moment I am with him... We had our first real date on Sunday; we had lunch at a charming French cafe in Georgetown, I had a delicious croque monsieur, he was such a great listener and then we went for a stroll and he was so patient while I finished up my Christmas shopping...and to top it all off- he was dressed to the nines, beautiful blue collared shirt perfectly casual-chic for a Sunday in the city...Did I forget to mention that this wonderful catch is my new nephew and only 4 weeks old? and I dressed him in the cutest little outfit and he loved it- no onsies for this guy!

While I am a total girlie girl, I do love a well dressed man and I think Mark Twain was spot on with his comment on clothes making the man, but clothes aren't the only thing...a home says an awful lot about a man and gone are the days of the gross man cave or cold bachelor pad.
If you are a more classic guy you can channel your inner Brooks Brother with their home collection featuring pin stripe bedding and silk pillows with classic tie stripes. I love these pillows- I am kind of take it or leave it on the bedding- I am a big believer in beds being sanctuary so I think going for a chic boutique hotel feel with crisp white linens would be a bit more soothing than sleeping in what looks like a work shirt.

Design mavericks like Thomas O'Brien are making the world of masculine interiors chicer and more inviting than ever with his style that has been deemed "warm modern".
When I worked for Hickory Chair I had the honor of getting to work around Thomas (he designs a line of furniture for Hickory Chair) and his fabulous visions, especially at market- he would capture the room when he would talk about what inspires him- he is truly truly the definition of style with his loyal commitment to his roots yet fashion forward enough to see where the world is wanting to go.
I have yet to see a room designed by Thomas that I don't love!

what are some of his classic tricks that you can use to turn your home into "warm modern" ??
Keep it simple, use classic lines- and clean lines!
Mix material- but natural materials, think wood, leather, wool, linen...
Consider a man's closet (a grown man-not a man/child) keep you major pieces neutral and use pattern and color sparingly in accessories...think pocket square= throw pillow 

If the man is bold and can pull off pinstripes or pink without too much mocking from his peers then chances are he can also pull off more drama in his home, with more pattern and color.
Don't forget to show his personality, use items that speak to his passions, if he loves hunting embrace it- don't go over the top but let him share it! If he loves reading, use books as decoration not just entertainment. If he is a sports fanatic- pull his favorite teams colors out for accents or find some great vintage pieces of memorabilia

Don't forget where you came from- we all have roots, love or hate your family and your family history, bring in something old. Ladies- we do it on our weddings day with something old and something new blah blah blah but treat your home the same way. Thomas has an unbelievable appreciation for antiques as well as using vintage styles as inspiration . Antiques and vintage pieces always serve as great conversation pieces as well.

photos: Brooks Brother, Design Sponge, Casa Sugar, Dwellings and Decor, Gary Spain, House and Home, Todd Romano

As much as I love a masculine room I have to say I think this men's room in  a female owned company's headquarters is fabulous... humor is always a plus in a male's space!




No comments: