Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The more that you read...

I love Dr. Seuss... always have. I used a Dr. Seuss quote for my high school senior yearbook quote; I use Dr. Seuss books for inspiration for nurseries and children's rooms; I even painted my nephew's high chair with Green Eggs and Ham.
But as I've gotten older and a little wiser, I've traded out my favorite Cat In the Hat quote for this one:

"The more you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
-Dr Seuss from I Can Read With My Eyes Shut

If you've read my blog before, you know how much I love books, for both reading and decorating!
So needless to say I laughed out loud when I saw this picture floating around Facebook (allegedly from Random House) talking about book suicide as a result of the Jersey Shore. I'm pretty sure books started committing suicide when Snookie got published but that is neither here nor there.

Back to my love of books (I mostly just wanted to put that picture on here!) I have long said how much a bookshelf can add to a room, it adds texture, depth, color and a conversation piece all in one

But why let the spines have all the fun?
For those of you out there (like me!) who pick books based on covers- why not show them off! I love this nursery and the way simple picture ledge became a book shelf, allowing the covers to shine as the focal point of the room. Or you can take this idea and frame it- thanks to my newest love...
Penguin Books, who has always prided themselves on having good looking covers, has released a collection of 100 covers in the form of postcards. So why not frame a few of your favorites and make a collage out of them!
And while we are on the subject... if you find your shelves are empty these days and needing some inspiration- I have just the shopping list for you!

Daily Candy (one of my long time favorites) has compiled a list of 101 books to keep you busy. Now, as a girl who has a tendency to read books with pink covers, I have to say- this is the best list of must read books I have seen. It is a brilliant mix of authors from new cult favorites like Steig Larson and Jonathan Franzen to old classics like Margaret Mitchell and Charles Dickens. Of course I love it because it includes my favorite book of all time- Valley of the Dolls!  And to make it even better, they present the list with images of the covers!!! So even us cover judges can know what we are getting into! So time to start checking off my list and loading up the kindle with some new finds!  
Here's what I've checked off the list so far:

Only 82 to go...
Happy Reading!
xoxo













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forgot the #1 Best seller of ALL time, the first book to ever be published, that's illegal in 52 countries, whose words are said to be "Sharper than a double edged sword", piercing the heart:
The Bible, KJV