Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This I Believe...

If you read my blog regularly (that is when I write it regularly) you might recall a post from earlier in the summer that referenced a certain charming young man that gave me a book to read...a real legit, with pages book. Despite what my mother thinks, he is not the reason I haven't written much this summer, I've been busy cooking up some new ideas and inspirations ; but actually my mom might be a little right ( I find myself admitting and saying those words a lot more now that i'm in my 30's)... he has reminded me of the amazing power of good music and good books and I've been doing quite a bit of summer reading.

After finishing a tear jerker by Ian McEwan I was needing something a bit more uplifting, something happier... so he handed me "This I Believe". You may or may not have heard of this before, it was a segment in the 1950's on NPR with Edward R. Murrow. Today it is a book of essays, some taken straight from the 50's radio program others written by notable figures of today and still some written by average American citizens. They are written about all sorts of things, my particular favorites so far are " A Grown-up Barbie" and "Be Cool to the Pizza Dude"...I digress, while reading these essays, these brief snipits of a person's philosophy, it has got me thinking about what I believe in... brevity has never been my strength so writing a 350-500 word essay will be hard and sorry to say but I think my actual "This I Believe" will be a little more private than the world wide web but for now I an truly inspired by Temple Grandin and her essay, "Seeing in Beautiful, Precise Pictures" and thought that would be the perfect way to share some of my beliefs with you.
In absolutely no particular order, This I Believe:
I believe every house should have an animal print somewhere... small or large, just somewhere

I believe in America, living in DC has renewed that pride in me, especially after a gorgeous 9-11 anniversary and seeing how we can come together differences and politics aside.

I believe art is subjective and that you should surround yourself with it, from children's doodles to masterpieces.

I believe in books- I love them! and yes- they are one of my favorite accessories but reading them is even better!

I believe in butts- yes I do! and not just because i have one...I think it is important in this crazy celebrity obsessed world we live in that girls have healthy role models.

I believe in having cake...and eating it! For a long time I thought it was impossible to have your cake and eat it too, but recently I have found that if you stay true to yourself, adjust your perspective a bit and surround yourself with the right people you can have it all- it's all in what's important to you.

I believe in chivalry, despite posting on twitter a dozen or so instances of how it is dead- it's not. trust me ladies, they are still out there- so hold out for a gentleman, it's worth it.

I believe in classics

Classic furniture and fashion is just that and will never fade- it always has a place!

I believe in coffee- and I believe there is nothing wrong with drinking drinks that have stupid superfluous names (cocktails included)

I believe in comfort food, there are foods and smells that can take you right back to a memory or shift your mood so that you instantly perk up- might I recommend cheese and/or bacon if you do't believe me...

I believe there are few things cuter than puppies and babies and nothing better than a snuggle from either of them.

I believe you are never too old to play dress up and I believe you should do any and everything within your power to make your child feel special- even if it means dressing up and riding the subway in costume.

I believe old people have every right to be as eccentric as they like...this one might come back to bite me with my parents...

I believe fashion is art- don't believe me then go pick up a WWD or walk the streets of Paris during fashion week.

I believe in film and taking pictures. and while i recently made the jump and got a digital version of my "big girl camera" I still love film and the mystery of wondering exactly how the picture will turn out...and having to wait to find out!

I believe nothing last forever so it is important to enjoy and be present in the moment

I believe heroes come in many shapes and forms and that they are all around us...

I believe you are never too old to swing on a swing set.

I believe the kitchen is the heart of the home

I believe in love letters. In this day of emails and text, there are few things as romantic to me as seeing the words "I love you" hand written in ink.

I believe in mixing styles, after all, if opposites attract, you better find a way to blend those furnishing together!

I believe Mother Nature creates the best color palettes hands down- she is stunning!

I believe in pops of color, they help you from becoming too serious...

I believe in porches, maybe it is growing up in the south but I am a sucker for a porch (front or back I don't care)

I believe in quotes, I have quote books and journals full of them and scraps of paper with them on it.

I often find myself unable to come up with the right words, so I often turn to the words of others for inspiration and guidance.

I believe in reusing- I love giving something a second life and letting the past into today.

I believe in romance and love and all that drippy sappy stuff 

I believe if the shoe fits then buy it in every color!

I believe in being silly- you are never too old to be silly

I believe in wallpaper- there is a time and a place in every home for it- sometimes it isn't where you expect.

But mostly what I believe, (and is what my real essay is about) is the most fitting for today
I Believe in Family. So today, my big brother's birthday (he's old- but not that old! that's his daughter in the picture) I share the words we heard (what seemed like every night) at the dinner table: "At the end of the day it's family." No matter where you are in the world, what the state of the world is or how hard things may be, at the end of the day, you have your family and that is something worth being thankful for. It is easy to loose sight of it from time to time but no matter how big or small, "normal" or eccentric yours may be- they are yours!

and that is what I Believe.

Happy Birthday Billy 
and 
Thank You Dave
xoxo



No comments: