Thursday, April 21, 2011

unlikely but perfect pairing...

I spent last weekend at the wedding of one of my very best friends... hence the lack of postings (packing before, recovering afterward). Now don't get me wrong, I am happy for all of my friends- but from the very first time I met her now husband, there has been something about them as a couple that I just love. She is one of the most important friendships I have so I frankly didn't think anyone would be good enough for her but she found her one- they are the perfect balance for each other; her dry wit is countered by his sometimes over the top silliness and they bring out the best in one another.
So when she said they were getting married at the yacht club I knew it would be the perfect wedding for them. The old gray sand battered yacht club got swathed in gorgeous greenery that made for the most fitting color story for them...
Green tends to symbolize life, nature, fertility and well being
Gray tends to symbolize security practicality and maturity. Native Americans associate it with friendship...
This combination is them perfectly!
This unlikely pairing of colors also happens to make the perfect palette for your home... Gray is the ultimate neutral- it can go masculine or feminine, it can be bold or subtle, it can be modern or traditional. Green is possibly the safest color on earth to use- when in doubt go green! Green goes with virtually any color- don't believe me- go take a walk outside and see what good ole' mother nature pairs it with...
grayish green cabinets paired with stainless steel make for an unexpected yet extremely cozy kitchen


ok- so this isn't so much gray but there are definite gray undertones to this eclectic work space

Soft greens and gray can create an ethereal romantic feel

soft bluish gray is the perfect background for a bluish green giving just enough contrast while still lending a monochromatic feel

bright pops of green make this open space feel young and fresh

I love the gray tones of worn wood



The traditional bottle green on these modern chairs is kept in check by the neutral gray walls

acid green and gray are popping up in fabrics and trims everywhere

so this is way more a greenish yellow but still...

I adore painting the insides of cabinets- it is a fun surprise and it looks great with glass front cabinets when you have white dishes


did I mention green and gray can be traditional....




Steely green plants like olive trees and lavender can create an uber romantic feel in a garden and look amazing with the worn wood of a well used deck

1 comment:

Anita Shelburne said...

Yes! Have long been a fan of green and gray! I think it's the nature thing that attracts me.